[oe] no-distro goal and SRCREV=1 in bitbake.conf

Graeme Gregory dp at xora.org.uk
Tue Oct 16 16:19:22 UTC 2007

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 15:56:37 +0200
Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> SRCREV=1 in bitbake.conf forces people to use a distro, which is
> bad(TM) according to the OEDEM minutes.
>
> My short term solution:
>
> * SRCREV = "${@bb.fetch.get_srcrev(d)}" in bitbake.conf
> * SRCREV ?= <foo> in recipes
> * SRCREV_pn-baz ?= <bar> in distro includes or local.conf
>
> For the medium and long term we should consider adding snapshot
> recipes for 'proven' revisions next to the 'floating' ones, even if
> Richard thinks it's a waste of space. Having a host of 'unbreak me'
> includes is also against our 'sane defaults' goal we decided on at
> OEDEM.
>
> Comments/ideas/flames?

My opinion is with the goal to build with no DISTRO= set then no
software should be build with floating SVN versions by default.

So I would opt for the "snapshot" releases style that we have been doing
for a long time now anyway. For stuff that is needed for basic images
but has never had a working release.

Graeme