[oe] COMPILE_FEATURES?

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 02:58:01 UTC 2007

On 10/17/07, Philip Balister <philip at balister.org> wrote:
> In #oe I extracted the answer as follows, with a use flag type thingy,
> two builds of the same package could have very different packages,
> primarily in the area of dependencies.
>
> Philip
>
> PS: I have no clue what USE flags are, and I am not a packaging guru.
> I'm sure my possible wrong answer will get a better explanation.

USE flags are used in Gentoo.  Gentoo and OE somewhat similar in that
they are composed of a bunch of recipes that describe primarily how to
build software, but that's about it.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=2

Bitbake was actually derived from portage:

Chris Larson quote: "it (bitbake) gradually developed a tendency
toward the most flexible
of all implementations, so became a generic task execution and metadata
handling tool that had some remnants from the Gentoo Portage codebase
that it was derived from."

A little more history:
http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/bitbake-dev/2005-May/000028.html
http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/bitbake-dev/2005-May/thread.html#29