[oe] [doc] defining OpenEmbedded

Marcin Juszkiewicz openembedded at haerwu.biz
Wed Oct 24 10:51:45 UTC 2007

Dnia środa, 24 października 2007, David Farning napisał:

> In the first case, the term local.conf implies a configuration file
> that makes a program work correctly on a local machine.  OE uses the
> file local.conf to define the top level build parameters for a bitbake
> build.  That is pretty confusing.  It would be more clear if
> local.conf was called build.conf.

But there are auto.conf, local.conf and site.conf which define
configuration for build. Common use is that site.conf contain
informations like DL_DIR, preferred mirrors for GNU/SourceForge/Debian,
amount of make and BitBake threads, local.conf contain informations
related to build (DISTRO and some addons like rm_work, tinderbox) and
auto.conf contain only MACHINE setting (so it can be regenerated from
shell).

> In the second case referring to OE as a collection of metadata is
> confusing.  Metadata is data about the data.  OE is actually a
> collection of patches, task lists, and configuration files.  I was
> wondering if it would be more clear to refer to oe as either a ruleset
> or task lists.

OE is not task lists - it defines them but also define many other things.
Ruleset sounds for me like other name of 'task list'.

--
JID: hrw-jabber.org
OpenEmbedded developer/consultant

    I used to think the brain is the most wonderfull organ in my body,
    till I realised what was telling me that