[oe] [doc] OE the language?

David Farning dfarning at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 02:54:14 UTC 2007

I was wondering if you would be interested in creating a formal language
to represent the data in bitbake files.

By splitting off bitbake you have already made a automatic
distribution development tool.  (think compiler)

What is now OpenEmbedded can be split in to 1. OE the language which
can be precisely defined in terms of syntax, and symantics, and
standard libaries.(bbclasses) and 2. OE data. (recipes)  This
separation would allow more abstraction between how recipies are
written and what the recipies do.  This separation would also allow
the language and standard libaries (api) to stablize into releases while the
data remains flexible.

The new language, which I am calling the distribution description language,
would describe the datafiles (.bb) which are parsed by bitbake.

Thanks
David Farning