[oe] [RFC] How to handle external kernel patches in oe the right way?

Stefan Schmidt stefan at datenfreihafen.org
Tue Sep 4 20:29:57 UTC 2007

Hello.

Due to my work on OpenEZX (http://www.openezx.org) I'm in touch with
external kernel patches used in OE to build working kernels for
different Motorola mobile phones.

Talking with Koen about the best way to handle this we have some
slightly different opinions on this. So we like to get some more
opinions on this before pinning to a strategy.

Koen like to pull the patches from a known-good rev into oe to have
them all at one place for less fragile building and tweaking.

I prefer OE to use our svn server with a fixed SRCREV which gets
updated once a newer version is known good. I'm not a fan of
duplicating the patches in OE if some small tweaking patches can also
handle it.

For bleeding edge building and testing we will create a recipe with
DEFAULT = -1 anyway.

I'm not totally against Koens approach, just see not much sense, but
more problems in duplicating the patches in OE. If other people are
still for it we can of course go that route.

Comments?

regards
Stefan Schmidt