[oe] [RFC] How to handle external kernel patches in oe the right way?

Dr. Michael Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Wed Sep 5 18:52:15 UTC 2007

Koen Kooi wrote:

> Richard Purdie schreef:
>> On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 22:29 +0200, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
>>> Due to my work on OpenEZX (http://www.openezx.org) I'm in touch with
>>> external kernel patches used in OE to build working kernels for
>>> different Motorola mobile phones.
>>>
>>> Talking with Koen about the best way to handle this we have some
>>> slightly different opinions on this. So we like to get some more
>>> opinions on this before pinning to a strategy.
>>>
>>> Koen like to pull the patches from a known-good rev into oe to have
>>> them all at one place for less fragile building and tweaking.
>>>
>>> I prefer OE to use our svn server with a fixed SRCREV which gets
>>> updated once a newer version is known good. I'm not a fan of
>>> duplicating the patches in OE if some small tweaking patches can also
>>> handle it.
>>
>> Personally I agree with this in principle, I've never liked maintaining
>> kernel patches in OE directly either.

> I'm having issues with crap like do_prepatch. Patches are only applied by patch.bbclass,
> not some hand written voodoo <period>.

Very well. If it annoys you so much, feel free to enhance patch.bbclass to
deal with upstream series files while retaining OE-added patches to it.

Until then, I think we shouldn't make life more complicated for the
actual upstream developers just because of going a bit too far wrt. to
our principles.

Regards,

:M:
--