[oe] What is glibc-intermediate for?

Detlef Vollmann dv at vollmann.ch
Sun Sep 9 11:59:39 UTC 2007

pHilipp Zabel wrote:
> glibc-initial is needed to build gcc-cross-initial, which is needed to
> build glibc-intermediate, which is needed to build gcc-cross, which is
> needed to build glibc.
Yes, this is what I expected as well, but what I don't see...

> Look at the package recipes, including
> glibc.inc to see what's going on.
Yes, I looked at all (well, most) of them.
The relevant lines are in glibc.inc:
> DEPENDS = "${@['virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}gcc-initial', 'virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}gcc']['nptl' in '${GLIBC_ADDONS}']} linux-libc-headers"
I have to admit that this is some magic for me (Python?), but
I interpret this that the dependency on virtual/gcc is somehow dependent
on NPTL.

> PROVIDES = "virtual/libc ${@['virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}libc-for-gcc', '']['nptl' in '${GLIBC_ADDONS}']}"
And this looks like glibc provides libc-for-gcc (again somehow dependent
on NPTL), which means it's built first.

> The seemingly different build order you noticed is probably due to
> bitbake's fine-grained task dependencies. Maybe glibc was unpacked
> before gcc-cross, but it most certainly wasn't compiled before
> gcc-cross was staged.
In my case I don't have NPTL but linuxthreads, and interestingly
glibc is compiled before gcc-cross is compiled, but only staged after
gcc-cross is compiled, which is a strange order anyway...

Right now I still have problems with my glibc package, and I'll try
to fix those and then do a clean complete bootstrap again.
Let's see what comes out of that...

  Detlef

--
Detlef Vollmann   vollmann engineering gmbh
Linux and C++ for Embedded Systems    http://www.vollmann.ch/