[oe] PREFERRED_PROVIDER (was: Conditional Expressions in Python)

Detlef Vollmann dv at vollmann.ch
Sun Sep 9 22:15:16 UTC 2007

Khem Raj wrote:

> which distro are you using. angstrom-2007.1.conf could be your problem
>
> ./conf/distro/angstrom-2007.1.conf:335:PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/powerpc-angstrom-linux-libc-for-gcc
>        = "glibc-intermediate"
Oops, sorry.
You're completely correct, it's my fault:
I searched for 'PREFERRED_PROVIDERS.*libc-for-gcc' and didn't think
of the PREFERRED_PROVIDER_.*.
Sorry again.

But now the next question:
What's the priority of the PREFERRED_PROVIDER* settings?
PREFERRED_PROVIDERS is one long list with potentially lots of
entries, possibly conflicting.
What gets priority?  The first entry for a specific target or the
last entry?

And it seems that a specific PREFERRED_PROVIDER_.* setting gets
priority over the PREFERRED_PROVIDERS list.  Is that always correct?

And as the distro.conf is read after the local.conf, there's no
way to override a setting from distro.conf in local.conf, correct?

For me that's not really a problem, as I have my own distro.conf
that includes (requires) angstrom.conf, but I think local.conf
is always more specific for the user (hance its name) than distro.conf,
so it would be nice if distro settings could be overridden in
local.conf.

  Detlef

--
Detlef Vollmann   vollmann engineering gmbh
Linux and C++ for Embedded Systems    http://www.vollmann.ch/