[oe] USE flags - why they won't work for OE

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 23:14:04 UTC 2007

Hello Richard,

On 9/11/07, Richard Purdie <rpurdie at rpsys.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 21:27 +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:
> > Leon Woestenberg schreef:
> > > Hello all,
> > >

> > > Maybe a minimal set of USE flags instead of creating -lite or -minimal
> > > .bb is an option?
> > > Or, using an include file that defines configuration variables
> > > (HAVE_GTK, HAVE_X)?
> >
> > Any form of USE flags is *bad* and *unacceptable*. I'll leave it to the other core people
> > to throw around terms like 'deterministic' and 'package space' :)
>
> Agreed. I will try and keep this brief whilst putting something in the
> archives once and for all.

Clear. So we use the bitbake recipe namespace to create a diverse set
of packages.

Let's at least come up with a good way of using the namespace:

-lite has been suggested, which I do not prefer (ambiguous, and I
would prefer -light)
-nodbus (if dbus dependency is dropped)

I would prefer using:

-without-x
-without-gtk
-without-dbus

as the package suffix, as it re-uses the "configure" options
namespace, well known to most developers.

Also, -minimal comes to mind for a truely minimally configured package.

Regards,
--
Leon