[oe] Task-base is big :(

Stelios Koroneos skoroneos at digital-opsis.com
Wed Sep 12 05:56:34 UTC 2007

> > The difference to the original python .bb is the removing of
> >  DEPEND: tk
> >   This would build a whole X11 system, and I definitely don't want that.
> >

> Same here, but I guess we are using OE for similar purposes. Using
> OpenEmbedded for embedded applications you build a kernel, need a
> *few* packages (say 10) and some custom stuff (say 20 packages).

True.
As more people start to use OE and as these people would be mostly
interested in "vertical" solutions (develop an app or add apps to an
existing distro without having to rebuild everything) i think we need to
have a closer look at the OE SDK vs build everything from scratch.
Having a "standard" toolchain availiable (and the way to use it) for people
that are not interested in developing distro's would IMHO provide additional
"user friendliness" and make OE an even more attractive solution.

Stelios S. Koroneos

Digital OPSiS - Embedded Intelligence
http://www.digital-opsis.com