[oe] USE flags - why they won't work for OE

José Bernardo Bandos Rodrigues bernardo at bandos.net
Wed Sep 12 11:06:12 UTC 2007

May I add some noise into this argument? A few years ago I contributed to a
source based linux distro. The way we had around this weren't USE flags - we
had as part of the package description files (what you have in .bb files) a
file that had prompts to be given to the user at package configure time, and
what dependencies changed and what arguments were passed to ./configure as a
result of those prompts. Since this was at package configure time, and that
step would run before everything else, the user would get a bunch of prompts
at the beginning, and the results would be stored for future use. The user
could also specify a option to the package build tool to discard these
stored results and re-ask the prompts. A file with the stored dependencies
would also be updated as a result of this, by the dependency checking code
of the package builder. That file would allow one to examine/reproduce a
particular user configuration, if needed.