[oe] USE flags - why they won't work for OE

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 11:46:16 UTC 2007

Hello all,

On 9/12/07, Stelios Koroneos <skoroneos at digital-opsis.com> wrote:
> > Let's at least come up with a good way of using the namespace:
> >
> > -lite has been suggested, which I do not prefer (ambiguous, and I
> > would prefer -light)
> > -nodbus (if dbus dependency is dropped)
> >
> > I would prefer using:
> >
> > -without-x
> > -without-gtk
> > -without-dbus
> >
> > as the package suffix, as it re-uses the "configure" options
> > namespace, well known to most developers.
>
> Both comments are correct, but what happens in the case we have a package
> with multiple -without-xyz ?

That's exactly why I think the configuration namespace should not be
performed in the package naming.

Although it might work for only a limited number of configuration
items (no X, not GTK, no sound, ...) it quickly becomes hairy.

However, we could start this way, and tidy later.

It seems to be the way of least resistance at this point.

I will commit whatever I think is useful to others. I am sure at some
point someone will stand up and disagree with me then :-)

Regards,

Leon.