[oe] [oe-users] ERROR: function do_stage failed

Dr. Michael Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Fri Sep 14 02:02:25 UTC 2007

cc'ing openembedded-devel, since we raise a significant issue here.

Philip Balister wrote:
> Can we remove the generic distro? I do not think anyone uses its it, and
> it just creates distractions for people.

I wouldn't like that and I'll tell you why. I added this distribution
configuration to have a conservative minimal distribution
configuration as a starting point for people to roll their own
distribution.

Now you probably would answer "they should just include Angstrom". As
much as I love the Angstrom initiative [heck, i co-founded it!], I
don't want it become the only viable option in OpenEmbedded. I want to
see us retaining a clear border where the packaging and machine configuration
metadata in OE ends and where the distribution starts.

The more Angstrom-specific hacks I see in OpenEmbedded, the more it
scares me, because this means once someone wants a lean-and-mean way
to compile a distro, he will run into lots of obstacles which --
in my opinion -- should rather be solved in a distribution-independent way.

I agree that the generic distro suffered from bitrot, but for the said
reasons I'd rather like it to be revived than to be removed.

Regards,

:M:
--
Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | IT-Freelancer | http://www.vanille-media.de