[oe] OE Manual: License change?

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Tue Apr 1 20:48:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 17:54 +0200, Robert Schuster wrote:
> Marcin Juszkiewicz schrieb:
> > OpenEmbedded documentation use "Creative Commons Attribution License 2.0",
> > Poky Handbook use "Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share
> > Alike 2.0" license. Copying from Poky Handbook to OpenEmbedded manual
> > require change on OE doc license to CC-NC-SA.
> >
> > I vote for changing OE manual license to CC-NC-SA as there is lot of good
> > stuff in Poky handbook which would be nice to have also in OE manual.
> OMG not any of these broken *-NC licenses. ;)

Why 'broken'? What does it stop you doing which you want to do?

> A manual is a functional work and therefore should IMHO not restrict the
> uses.
>
> Any chance of changing poky manual's license to something less
> restrictive? CC-BY-SA/CC-BY preferably?

Not really. We went around in circles with the manual licence and on the
one hand we want it open, we want people to be able to make changes and
we want it to be useful for everyone. How you protect work invested in
something like Poky is very tricky however, particularly when we're keen
on giving back to the community. At the end of the day, Poky is
commercial to some degree and what we don't want is someone to rebadge
Poky and its manual and then make money on the result and this approach
gives us some protection.

I'm relatively happy with the outcome and whilst its a shame the
licenses aren't compatible, I don't think this will be too much of an
issue. People are free to submit to one, the other or both and may the
best manual win :) Don't underestimate the amount of work involved in
writing these things...

For the record I personally don't think -NC is appropriate for OE's
manual.

Cheers,

Richard