[oe] usermanual

E Robertson e.robertson.svg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 13:45:05 UTC 2008

Hi all,
I'm attempting to take on the task to update and add to the user manual being
a newcomer. Naturally their are sections in the manual that are a beyond me
at this point but I will ask questions along the line to solicit materials so
feel free to add any other useful into I can use. Hopefully I didn't take on
more than I can chew :).

Section 3.4 (Building Software) I would like to build the helloworld package.
This would mean talking about modifying the local.conf file explained in
section 5.5.3.2. However, after reading through this section I realize this
is outdated as several configurations have moved to their own files (like
MACHINE for example). This would need updating and I would also suggest
moving the local.conf from section 5.5.3.2 to section 3.4. Any suggestions?
If their are other sources that talked about this file other than the wiki,
please send me the link.

Section 4.5 Overrides seem to be different from the Bitbake manual on
Overrides. Could someone explain what this is?

I would also like any information on Classes in Section 2.3 on how to "FIXME".
Is this a bitbake thing?

Thanks.