[oe] Building multiple gdb-cross targets

Geoffrey Wossum geoffrey at pager.net
Mon Apr 7 18:54:23 UTC 2008

On Monday 07 April 2008 12:58:42 pm Stelios Koroneos wrote:
> I think you are missing the point
>
> "bare-metal" gdb does not have any bindings with
> glibc/uclibc/eglibc/whatever-libc because its (usually) used to build a
> system with no OS (standalone apps).
> You also need a "bare-metal" toolchain i.e toolchain that generates code
> that can run on the board without any OS (this was the case in most
> embedded designs before linux become "embedded")

Yeah, needing a baremetal gdb to debug makes perfect sense when you stop and
think about it.  A linux-glibc gdb might want to hook into things like
libthread_db that don't exist when debugging a kernel.

You don't need a baremetal toolchain (binutils +gcc) to build Linux or u-boot
in this case (AVR32), though.  Maybe on some platforms you do, but not here.
Even baremetal compilers usually need a libc, though, like using newlib to
build a baremetal arm-elf toolchain.  The whole build a bootstrap compiler,
then the libc, then the final compiler routine.  The AVR (not AVR32)
toolchain is the one exception I know of to this.  For the AVR, you build
binutils, then gcc, then avr-libc, and then your done.

---
Geoffrey