[oe] avr32-*-gdb requires modifying gdb.inc / gdb-cross.inc

Geoffrey Wossum geoffrey at pager.net
Wed Apr 9 15:49:58 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 09 April 2008 10:07:21 am Khem Raj wrote:
> Hi Geoffrey
>
> I think it will be good to make this step arch specific to AVR only.
> and best is to identify what changes are done in configure that needs it
> to be regenerated. You can regenerate these and include them in the
> patch itself instead of doing it at compile time.

Here's Atmel's reasoning for not including all the generated source /
autotools cruft in the patch:
"The reason why these changes aren't included with the patch is that it would
have increased its size by several megabytes, and the actual AVR32 changes
would have been lost in the noise."

Those are good points on their part, plus I don't want to have to create and
maintain my own patch.  When Atmel comes out with their next gdb, I don't
want to have to create a new patch based on theirs to include in OE.  I want
to download their patch and copy it into the OE tree.

This leaves running these extra steps only for the AVR32.  What would I put
around these extra steps in do_configure() and do_stage() so that they are
only run when building for the AVR32.

---
Geoffrey