[oe] Building ubuntu/gcc-4_2-branch to get GCJ for arm EABI

Robert Schuster theBohemian at gmx.net
Sat Apr 12 15:58:51 UTC 2008

HI Matthijs,

Matthijs van de Water schrieb:
> I know they're not all needed to get a working arm-linux-gnueabi-gcj.
> But I'm not sure if I should mix GCC versions...
> So I changed my preferred version of GCC to '4.2.3-ubuntu' so that one
> will be used in the entire build and started a clean build. I thought
> I was a good idea to keep all gcc things that are built based on the
> same code-base. Is that a wrong assumption? To test I just did a
> "bitbake glibc" which I presume will build enough to know if things
> work.
That is indeed a good idea. GCJ heavily relies on the BC ABI which is
defined for C++. If you use different compilers things may break.

>>  Please report your results.
> The build has just failed on glibc-intermediate with a linking error:
> cannot find -lgcc_eh. I'll look into that now.
> It has finished building the following stuff:
> binutils-cross-2.18-r1
> gcc-cross-4.2.3-ubuntu-r6
> gcc-cross-initial-4.2.3-ubuntu-r6
> glibc-2.6.1-r3
> glibc-intermediate-2.6.1-r3
> linux-libc-headers-2.6.24-r2
Have a look at gcc-4.2.2.inc. As you there are many patches applied
which for e.g. ARM. It is likely that you need to have those for your
GCC recipe, too.

>>  If you get it working please try whether the GCJ patches can be applied
>>  to any of the existing GCC versions within OE. That way all
>>  distributions in OE can make use of it optionally (when they switch to
>>  this GCC).
> That patch will be massive: there are tons of new .java files....
Which perhaps it makes sense then to get everything working from GCJ
4.3.0 onwards. AFAIK this release contains all the ARM GCJ stuff we need
and we can ask Andrew Haley if important GCJ patches have been
introduced after the 4.3.0 release.

GCC 4.3.0 support in OE is still in its infancy and requires some
workarounds. Keep an eye on this list for news about that.

Regards
Robert