[oe] bitbake -c rebuild not running all tasks

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Thu Apr 24 21:51:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 16:25 -0400, Cliff Brake wrote:
> I'm trying to sort out the xorg fonts stuff, and am running into an
> issue where "bitbake -c rebuild" does not re-run all tasks when
> rebuilding font-util.  It seems to me that bitbake should be running
> all tasks including configure, compile, etc.
>
> I'm using bitbake 1.8 HEAD, and a week old or so version of OE.  I'll
> try the OE HEAD as soon as I get a build to finish.

There is a clue here:

> NOTE: package font-util-1_1.0.1-r2: task do_prepackaged_stage: started
> NOTE: Uninstalling any existing package from staging...
> Removing package staging-font-util-geode-angstrom-linux from root...
> NOTE: Following speedup
>
> Installing staging-font-util-geode-angstrom-linux (1.0.1-r2) to root...
> Configuring staging-font-util-geode-angstrom-linux
> NOTE: package font-util-1_1.0.1-r2: task do_prepackaged_stage: completed

You have packaged staging enabled, it found the staging package and used
it, "accelerating" the build.

When we run clean, the do_clean_append() in packaged-staging.bbclass
takes care of removing the staging package but it didn't. I can tell you
why too, basically rebuild is totally flawed with bitbake 1.8 HEAD and
some of the recent core changes :(.

Please don't use the rebuild command for now, use -c clean and then
rerun it. I will think about this problem but its a nasty tricky to
solve one. The best idea I have so far is we always have a clean task
that runs before any other, it just only does something in certain cases
governed by stamps.

Cheers,

Richard