[oe] bitbake -c rebuild not running all tasks

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Sat Apr 26 10:42:56 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 00:30 +0200, Rolf Leggewie wrote:
> Richard Purdie wrote:
> > Please don't use the rebuild command for now, use -c clean and then
> > rerun it. I will think about this problem but its a nasty tricky to
> > solve one.
>
> how about having "bitbake -c rebuild $target" actually be "bitbake -c
> clean $target;bitbake $target" for the time being as a stop-gap measure?
>  I know you are not a fan of recursive bitbake, but would it be a
> problem in this case?

That breaks our layer separation. At present bitbake knows literally
nothing about what a given task means/does and to teach it that
behaviour it has to special case "rebuild".

bitbake did used to do this at the task level, running one task after
the other but the way the core changed for many other reasons means it
can't do that. I'm not too happy that rebuild has broken but it is the
only collateral and we did gain a number of other features. I will find
a way to fix it and don't think its a terminal problem, just a hard one.

Yes, you could do something like this with recursive bitbake but that is
a large can of worms which cause infinitely more pain rather than being
stop-gap.

Richard