[oe] problem building meta-toolchain for arm/uclibc

Sergey 'Jin' Bostandzhyan jin at mediatomb.cc
Mon Apr 28 19:26:07 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

I keep struggling with meta-toolchain and I hope to get some input on this.

I'm on oe stable, angstrom-2007.1, ARM9, uclibc, EABI

I start with a clean build: bitbake meta-toolchain

Unfortunately gcc-cross-sdk fails to build:
NOTE: package gcc-cross-sdk-4.1.2-r11: task do_compile: failed

And here's the most interesting part:
| /opt/44296fe048e6bdbb2da959e5d681dfdf/etcb/OE/build/angstrom/cross/bin/arm-angstrom-linux-uclibcgnueabi-ld: cannot find libc.so.6
| collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
| make[3]: *** [libgcc_s.so] Error 1

Is it looking for libc.so.6 on a uclibc build?

Here is the full log:
http://www.deadlock.dhs.org/jin/log_do_compile_uclibcgnueabi_gcc_cross_sdk.txt

I started to poke around, looking for differences between the configuration
options of the sdk and non-sdk versions.

Apart of the directories most things are the same, the only other additonal
options were in the gcc-cross-sdk (vs. gcc-cross)  configuration:
--enable-clocale=generic and --disable-nls (the non-sdk gcc-cross did not have
those).

I also looked at binutils-cross and binutils-cross-sdk, here binutils-cross
had two more options: --enable-install-libbfd --disable-werror The rest,
except for the paths was the same.

I also noticed that the sdk variants use the already available tools from
the cross directory, not sure if that can be related to my problem
binutils-cross:
checking for arm-angstrom-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc... no

binutils-cross-sdk:
checking for arm-angstrom-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc... arm-angstrom-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc

At this point I am sort of stuck, so if anyone has an idea or a clue - I'll
be happy to hear about it. Thanks!

Kind regards,
Jin

P.S. I'd submit a bug... but the bugtracker is still down :(