[oe] Summary of an unwanted merge and what I did

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Tue Apr 29 08:19:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 01:43 +0200, Rolf Leggewie wrote:
> Holger Freyther wrote:
> > it is about time to switch
>
> I believe the discussion has been done.  I agree, action should follow.
>  What are the next steps?  Do we want a vote on which tool to use?  I
> see three contenders.
>
>  a) stick with mtn
>  b) switch to hg
>  c) switch git
>
> I don't recollect anybody advocating anything else.  So, should we have
> a vote on a, b, or is there some technical issue that needs to resolved
> or evaluated first?

The 'core' team discussed it and didn't reach a consensus. I'm planning
to setup a git trial server, the problem is I want to do it properly and
to me this includes reuniting us with our lost history from bitkeeper.

Setting up a git server isn't a problem and I'm halfway there with that
already. The are two main issues. One is I have been trying to convert
the bitkeeper cvs into something sane. If anyone does have some time to
experiment and wants to have a go with that let me know and I can detail
where I'm up to with it and what the problems are. It is possible to add
in the history using tree grafts afterwards but I'd prefer not to do
that if we can help it.

The second issue is one of enabling 'proper' access control. Even with
monotone we don't have something foolproof. With git I've ideas about
how we can do this but until we have a tree setup I can't really test
them.

I have been trying to get this sorted for a while and various things
have ended up taking priority which is frustrating for all, me included.
I will try and get this sorted soon...

Cheers,

Richard