[oe] problem building meta-toolchain for arm/uclibc

Sergey 'Jin' Bostandzhyan jin at mediatomb.cc
Tue Apr 29 12:33:10 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 02:54:34PM -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> try running the link step alone manually

[...]

did that, -v did not tell anything that seemed useful but then I noticed
one thing:

> libgcc/./_udiv_w_sdiv_s.o libgcc/./_udivmoddi4_s.o libgcc/./bpabi_s.o
> libgcc/./unaligned-funcs_s.o libgcc/./unwind-arm_s.o
> libgcc/./libunwind_s.o libgcc/./pr-support_s.o libgcc/./unwind-c_s.o
> -lc && rm -f ./libgcc_s.so && if [ -f ./libgcc_s.so.1 ]; then mv -f
> ./libgcc_s.so.1 ./libgcc_s.so.1.backup; else true; fi && mv
> ./libgcc_s.so.1.tmp ./libgcc_s.so.1 && ln -s libgcc_s.so.1
> ./libgcc_s.so

actually, for this test, I should have stopped here:
> libgcc/./_udiv_w_sdiv_s.o libgcc/./_udivmoddi4_s.o libgcc/./bpabi_s.o
> libgcc/./unaligned-funcs_s.o libgcc/./unwind-arm_s.o
> libgcc/./libunwind_s.o libgcc/./pr-support_s.o libgcc/./unwind-c_s.o
> -lc

the stuff after it is just moving around and so on.

> and pass options to generate verbose output. It could be related to binutils.

And there it was staring at me: the -lc thing. When I was grepping for
libc.so.6 in the whole work directory I found this:

binutils-2.18/build.i686-linux.arm-angstrom-linux-uclibcgnueabi/ld/earmelf_linux_eabi.c:494

  /* We issue a warning if it looks like we are including two
     different versions of the same shared library.  For example,
     there may be a problem if -lc picks up libc.so.6 but some other
     shared library has a DT_NEEDED entry of libc.so.5.  This is a
     heuristic test, and it will only work if the name looks like
     NAME.so.VERSION.  FIXME: Depending on file names is error-prone.
     If we really want to issue warnings about mixing version numbers
     of shared libraries, we need to find a better way.  */

Can this be somehow related to the issue that I am experiencing?

Btw, just for the fun of it, I tried simply removing the -lc parameter - and
then it linked without error. But then of course I am not sure if that
is correct or if by doing that I produced garbage...

Any further ideas?

Kind regards,
Jin