[oe] binutils fails for AVR32

Robert Schuster theBohemian at gmx.net
Sun Aug 10 16:37:57 UTC 2008

Hi,

Koen Kooi schrieb:
> Robert Schuster wrote:
>> Hi,
>> got an ngw100 and wanted to build angstrom for it and have the same
>> issues as Ulf with binutils-cross.
>
> If you work around that you'll notice that gcc-cross doesn't compile
> anymore :( I'm hoping to spend some time on it next week
Oh no. :$

I just prepared a patch that takes Ulf's approach and implements it
indepedent from $BUILD_SYS. I attached the patch but when you say this
will break gcc-cross it is probably moot.

>, but don't let that stop you from fixing it yourself :)
This is my first encounter with AVR32. :)

I just looked at the Makefile that is generated for binutils 2.18.50.0.7
 (machine = beagleboard). The *_CONFIGARGS variables do not contain
stuff like host_alias and CC there. I suspect that due to some weird
script problem (perhaps quoting?) things end up in the *_CONFIGARGS
variables that should not be there. The three variables are supposed to
contain the arguments given to the initial 'configure' but in the
avr32's case they contain environment variables.

As Ulf already told it all leads to ac_configure_args (or ac_arg). The
shell code that generates it is different for our binutils (avr32) 2.17
and 2.18.50.0.7. The former is created by autoconf 2.61 (AFAIU it is
re-generated after the avr32 patch is applied), while the latter is
created by 2.61.

--

While writing this my build has failed at gcc-cross. The compiler
crashes while compiling the Objective C library. As a workaround I

Regards
Robert