[oe] oprofile updates

Robert Schuster theBohemian at gmx.net
Tue Aug 12 18:05:52 UTC 2008

Hi,
as you might have seen I committed a patch for oprofile 0.9.3 and added
0.9.4.

0.9.3 was applying a patch that adds armv7 support but the CPU event
files were not distributed because the patch modified a Makefile.in
(which was overwritten since OE does autogen.sh/autoreconf).

To my surprise the armv7 patch is still needed for 0.9.4 (although it
was created months ago). So I adjusted it for this version.

Oprofile 0.9.4 is interesting because it
 - supports the avr32 CPUs
 - provides libopagent

The latter is hot stuff for JIT compilers: With the library you can tell
oprofile that a JIT-created area of machine code has a certain name.
With the name and the instruction sequence itself oprofile can then
provide the same level of detailed information as it provides for normal
C and C++ functions.

Needless to say I would be happy if oprofile 0.9.4 could make it into
angstrom 2008.1. :)

Regards
Robert