[oe] git and dir

Rolf Leggewie no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de
Thu Aug 14 12:22:56 UTC 2008

Mike (mwester) wrote:
> So can we consider a middle ground?

How about this?  If $GITBRANCH was available when defining TMPDIR it
would be just perfectly possible to define it as TMPDIR =
"${OEHOME}/tmp/${DISTRO}/${GITBRANCH}" and not have any issues.  For
those who want to share stuff and know what they are doing, it would be
possible to leave out DISTRO and GITBRANCH fi they want to.

The issue that I see is that although it may have been technically
possible to switch branches in the same directory with mtn, I would
consider that a very advanced technique (I consider myself rather
well-versed in mtn and didn't even know it was possible).  Whereas, this
is kind of the norm with git.  The easy switching is one of the reasons
we decided to go forward with git.  Just like Mike said, I think we are
going to see a lot of wasted time for everyone and I think now is a good
time to proactively prevent that.