[oe] RFC: When PREFERRED_PROVIDER does not build, don't try other alternatives by default

Phil Blundell pb at reciva.com
Sat Aug 30 09:36:12 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-30 at 17:40 +0930, Rod Whitby wrote:
> Whenever I build virtual/kernel, and for some reason (perhaps a git
> fetcher problem, or a patch doesn't apply cleanly) it doesn't build,
> bitbake decides to then go and build every other kernel under the sun
> trying to complete virtual/kernel.

It shouldn't be doing that in the first place.  If PREFERRED_PROVIDER is
set and that package is considered statically buildable, bitbake will
try to build it.  If PREFERRED_PROVIDER names a package which is
statically unbuildable, bitbake will proceed as if that variable wasn't
set at all and select one according to its other rules.  In either case,
once it has made its determination, it will try to build that one
package and no other.  If the selected package turns out to be
dynamically unbuildable (which would include the reasons you mentioned
above) then it will stop.

So, it sounds like the behaviour you are experiencing is a bug rather
than a feature.

p.