[oe] RFC: When PREFERRED_PROVIDER does not build, don't try other alternatives by default

K. Richard Pixley rich.pixley at palm.com
Sat Aug 30 15:52:35 UTC 2008

I have a similar issue to address.  I haven't gone looking, but what I'm
hoping for is a hard fail exit from bitbake if the PROVIDER isn't
available.  I'm hoping for either a global switch that turns
PREFERRED_PROVIDER from advisory to mandatory.  Or, even better, a
MANDATORY_PROVIDER which is hard fail while other PREFERRED_PROVIDERs
remain optional.

It's on my of features to add, but our OE tree is over a year and a half
old now, and an OE merge doesn't seem to be much of a priority here, so
it could be some time before I get to it.

The rationale here is the same difference I had with Cygnus configure vs
Autoconf.  Autoconf's job is to infer itself into new environments as
best it can.  This is great for systems that are compiled once each on
millions of personal and academic systems of which no two are exactly alike.

However, for commercial grade software, we really do know exactly what
our environment is and any time the compiling environment doesn't fit
our expectations, we really would prefer a hard fail immediately so that
we can track down that difference.

In our case, we want to use virtual packages as a way of selecting
one-of-N options for our different products.  But there's absolutely no
reason to even consider using an option that hasn't been specifically
selected for a particular product.

--rich