[oe] broken shared-mime-info and MIME typing

Stanislav Brabec utx at penguin.cz
Thu Dec 4 17:18:06 UTC 2008

Koen Kooi wrote:

> You want it to error out of u-m-d is not found, since the purpose of the
> postinst (updating the database) couldn't be done. Do you have a
> use-case for this non-error behaviour?

> I'm not sure what the above accomplished, apart from making it easier to
> shoot yourself in the foot. What's the usecase for allowing to install
> the xml files, but not the update tool (assuming you applied the changes
> below)?

These XML files are important for consumers (typically file managers of
desktop systems), not for providers (packages providing a description
for its own obscure file format).

If you want such packages installed on an image with the desktop systems
that does not support shared-mime-info, you don't need shared-mime-info
nor freedesktop-mime-info packages and you will save ~1MB.

During installation of shared-mime-info+freedesktop-mime-info the
database will be created.

> If you're going to package those together you should name the package
> 'update-mime-database' to avoid confusion when people want to install
> the utils and do 'opkg list | grep mime'.

Whatever name we pick, allowing to install update-mime-database
installed without freedesktop.org.xml is a bad combination.

Having generated data files without both of them seems to be safe.

--
Stanislav Brabec
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus