[oe] How to integrate this into OE?

Robert Schuster theBohemian at gmx.net
Wed Dec 17 09:05:12 UTC 2008

Hi,
get 'notify-send' for your distro (libnotify-bin in Debian/Ubuntu) and
then try this bash script ->

sd ()
{
  local cmd=$@

  local app=$1
  shift
  ($app "$@")

  if [ $? = 0 ]
  then
    notify-send ":-) done: '$cmd'"
  else
    notify-send --urgency=critical ":'( <i>failed:</i> '$cmd'"
  fi
}

like this:
	sd make bla

or enjoy success:
	sd echo "Hello World"

If you do not want to try this out. This script uses freedesktop.org's
notify-send application to inform you whether the operation following sd
failed or not. It also prints the command and paints an appropriate
emoticon. I find this practical when I am working on OE and check my
mail, read blogs while a build is running.

At the moment I would use this for OE like this:

	sd bitbake foobar

and get a nice graphical notice whether my build failed or succeeded.
My question is how could we optionally put this into OE directly?
Ideally in some form of 'INHERIT += notify-send'.

Regards
Robert