[oe] openmoko-merges

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Thu Dec 18 14:23:22 UTC 2008

John Lee <john_lee at openmoko.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Please review john_lee/openmoko-merges.  I started from
> holger/openmoko-merges then rebased it to oe.dev.
>
> The general principle is:
>
> 1) Minimal impact: most of the big changes apply to om distro only.
> My thought is we merge this first, then apply to the general.
>
> 2) Keep history: I did it the hard way by cherry-picking one by one
> since the history is different after the mtn->git switch.  Most of the
> commit messages are kept, but that creates a lot of commits to review.
>
> 3) PKG_TAGS, qtopia, toolchain, om-utils and opkg stuffs are left out
> for later merge.
>
> Not sure how long it's going to take.  My plan is to merge it this
> Monday if it's okay...

Personally I think that OE should have a clear history. There's no
reason  to keep commits like:

 Do foo
 Do something
 Fix foo broken in previous commit
 Really do something

A clearer and more useful history would be:

 Do something
 Do foo

And it should not be hard to merge it back into OpenMoko tree since
the 3-way merge will detect the same changes and should reduce the
conflicts a lot.

Anyway, I personally prefer to have clearer history then keep the
whole list of commits there. Others?

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855