[oe] tinylogin vs. busybox

pHilipp Zabel philipp.zabel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 15:48:42 UTC 2008

On Feb 13, 2008 4:06 PM, Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl> wrote:

> Michael 'Mickey' Lauer schreef:
> |>
> |> is dead.

> task-base? If
> |>
> |> Using busybox as login requires it being setuid root, with all the nasty
> |> security implications stemming from that.
> |
> | http://www.busybox.net/lists/busybox/2004-May/011551.html give me the
> opinion
> | that this is not a problem.
>
> If that email is true, we could dump tinylogin, but frankly, I trust
> busybox as far as I can throw a piano (and toybox as far as I can throw
> a 21" crt) and SUID root binaries make my skin crawl, so we must be very
> carefull and do thorough tests before making this change.
> The last thing we want is $bigcompany to blame OE for the exploitabilty
> of their devices.
>
> |> I don't think OE should force
> |> people to only have one user ('root') on their systems, since that is
> |> exactly what your proposed change would mean.
> |
> | I agree, but I don't see why using busybox login would limit us to
> root-only.
> | Care to give more details?
>
> The way busybox worked before is that *any* busybox applet is SUID root,
> which means 'vi' and 'passwd' are as well, which in practice means there
> is only one user: root.

busybox does drop root priviledges for applets that don't need them,
after reading its configuration file.
The only input from non-root users that I can see until then are the
command line parameters (applets/applets.c)

main() --> run_applet_and_exit() --> run_current_applet_and_exit() -->
check_suid()

regards
Philipp