[oe] building uClinux using OE

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Thu Feb 14 16:47:07 UTC 2008

Sergey 'Jin' Bostandzhyan schreef:
| Hi,
|
| I'd like to be able to build uClinux using OE and I hope to gather some
| pointers to the right direction.
|
| I think it would generally be a nice thing to have, so I would like to do
| the work in a way that it could be incorporated in OE, provided that you
| guys are interested.
|
| According to the post below the toolchain should not be a problem:
| http://mailman.uclinux.org/pipermail/uclinux-dev/2007-May/042993.html
| "uClinux development on ARM now uses a standard arm-linux targeted
tool chain.
|  We add the elf2flt tool, but it is otherwise a standard arm-linux
toolchain."

| As far as I know the uClinux/ARM kernel patches are already in the
mainline:
| http://opensrc.sec.samsung.com/
|
| uClibc is also already supported by OE, not sure if I would have to add
| an option for uC-libc.
|
| So basically it seems that almost everything that is needed is already
there.

| What is missing?
|
| - applying elf2flt processing to produced binaries

That should happen automagically, we just need to stage some more
binutils-cross headers for elf2flt to build

| - have a way of knowing that the particular build is done for the uClinux
|   targets (maybe for some tweaks in .bb files if required or to apply
patches
|   only when necessary, allthough ifdef __uClinux__ defines could be used)
|
| - not sure what else?

Since you can't (practically) do shared libraries, all packaging (and
probably staging) will be wrong, since you won't have libfoo.so.1, but
something different.

| I do not have any uClinux experience yet, and it seems to be quite
difficult
| to gather all the bits and pieces of information, so I'd appreciate
comments
| and suggestions, especially if you see that I am missing something.
|
| I'd also be interested in your thoughts on what would be the best way to
| integrate it into OE.

I had a go at this a while ago, but I had to halt working on it since
the uboot on the blackfin site refuses to load the uImage on the
blackfin site, leaving me without a good testing target.
I think forcing static linking would be the fastest way to get an image
built, we can work on details (flat, shared-flat, fdpic, etc) after that.

regards,

Koen

- --
koen at dominion.kabel.utwente.nl will go go away in december 2007, please