[oe] initramfs generation with OE

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 11:35:15 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 08:09:41 +0100
Rolf Leggewie <no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de> wrote:

> Richard Purdie wrote:
> > how do we generate an initramfs with OE?
>
> Sorry to jump in with another question that does not relate to solving
> the problem but me understanding the scope and importance of it.
>
> Would the initramfs thing allow for example NFS boot over wifi?

Initramfs as technology allows that and anything else, and
initramfs-uniboot (packages/initrdscripts/) is intended to make that all
practically and easily achievable for realistic usecases. It is built
in modular fashion, allowing developer to select needed functionality
from available choices, and add needed functionality easily (again, at
least for realistic usecases).

For example, there's already module for NFS boot (it has implicit
support for USB net so far). So, to add NFS-over-WiFi functionality,
just a module which will up (load modules, configure ip) WiFi i/f needs
to be added.

[]

--
Best regards,