[oe] DISTRO override logic in angstrom.inc

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Mon Feb 18 22:52:41 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 00:18 +0200, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:54:24 +0000 Richard Purdie <rpurdie at rpsys.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 22:27 +0200, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
> > > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:52:30 +0100 Michael 'Mickey' Lauer <mickey at vanille-media.de> wrote:
> You'd know my answer, right - somebody should... ;-) Living in fear of
> changing that doesn't help either. I guess treating OVERRIDES as
> something mystical was the reason why "DISTRO=" got into angstrom.inc in
> the first place.

Not mystic, dangerous and subtle ;-).

> > It has highlighted that openmoko was running without
> > "angstrom" in overrides at all though
>
> Hm, why? "-" change from Mickey shows there was literal "angstrom" in
> there. So, it was "openmoko:angstrom" before, became
> "angstrom:angstrom" after my change, and now set back in explicit way.
> I assume that OVERRIDES are processed in order, so if there're both
> openmoko and angstrom override, first will have priority, otherwise
> angstrom's will be picked up, and I guess that's desired behavior.

Sorry, I'd misread the diff and my brain is tired ;-). There is no
change in behaviour.

> > I'm voting in favour of:
> >
> > DISTRO_OVERRIDES ?= ${DISTRO}
> > OVERRIDES
> > ="local:${MACHINE}:${DISTRO_OVERRIDES}:${TARGET_OS}:${TARGET_ARCH}:build-${BUILD_OS}:fail-fast:pn-${PN}"
> >
> > and then angstrom sets:
> >
> > DISTRO_OVERRIDES = "angstrom"
> >
> > and openmoko sets:
> >
> > DISTRO_OVERRIDES = "openmoko:angstrom"
> >
> > Note there is no longer any use of := and that the main list of
> > overrides is only written in one place rather than spread out per
> > distro which could cause maintenance problems in the future.
>
> You know better. If such use with ":" inside is acceptable,

It is as far as I'm concerned. We already do this with things like PATH.

> and it's
> really DISTRO_OVERRIDE*S*, so the meaning of it is not "a var where
> distro may put something to use instead of its name in OVERRIDES", but
> instead "var which holds values on which distro wants to override, in
> addition to standard overrides", then it's even better ;-).

The latter is what I'm implying. Its more powerful and shouldn't break
any existing usage, I can't really see anything against it at the moment
and it simplifies openmoko's setup...

Cheers,

Richard