[oe] Uppercase overrides and parsing speed

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Sat Feb 23 21:53:14 UTC 2008

Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> Dnia Saturday, 23 of February 2008, Paul Sokolovsky napisał:
>
>> Koen Kooi <koen at dominion.kabel.utwente.nl> wrote:
>>

>>> Didn't we also agree that variable names shouldn't include '_' at
>>> all?
>>>
>> How is that achievable? LETSUSEITLIKETHIS? Maybe exclude 'A' too? ;-)
>>

> LETS-USE-IT-LIKE-THIS was one of suggestions.

Oh come on, now - you can't be serious.  It's just not difficult enough
or arcane enough with any of those choices!  We need to insist on this
syntax for variables:

LET\'S\ USE\ IT\ LIKE\ THIS

;-) :-P

Didn't there used to be some recommendation for a variable naming
convention that encoded the type into the name?  Somehow all these
restrictions on the use of case and underscores reminds me of that
notation  -- that idea seems to have faded away (thank goodness for
that, too), and I don't think we should let OE go there either.  I'd
rather take a small performance hit instead of having to remember even
more rules about upper/lower case and other naming conventions.  I vote
to leave well enough alone... JMO.

Mike (mwester)