[oe] Google Summer of Code

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Mon Feb 25 20:40:54 UTC 2008

Jacob Thebault-Spieker wrote:
> I'm a first year Computer Science major interested in participating in
> Google Summer of Code. What's the process for doing this in OE? Is there
> a process? Who should I talk to about mentoring? Are there any projects
> that I could do? I'm relatively familiar with OE, specifically Angstrom,
> as I have a two Zaurii, a C3200 and an SL-5500.
>
> I don't know of anything specific about OE that's not fully functional,
> although, one project I was thinking about was a GUI video player, as a
> frontend for mplayer. This would incorporate the accelerated video that
> some of the Zaurii have, and would be full screen. Ideally, it'd be able
> to recognize that the screen is flipped, and potentially still allow for
> landscape mode(where the zaurus would be in vertical position, but the
> video would play in landscape/widescreen mode).
>
> This is just a preliminary idea, I don't know how feasible it actually
> is. Thanks

Hi Jacob,

Just to go a little further on your idea..

Why don't create a UMPC usable mobile player. You can use existing
technology's and software.

I am wishing for somebody to fix totem to only use gtk libs and
gstreamer libs, and to improve to gui a bit to render better on smaller
screens.

Al the building blocks are there it would be great for the complete
community if you can fix these issues and create a nice and molecular
base platform that use totem and gstreamer.

Kind regards,

Jelle de Jong