[oe] Fwd: [Opie] Greg "Gerg" Gilbert

Hans Henry von Tresckow hvontres at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 18:38:16 UTC 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Rodkey <rodkey at westmont.edu>
Date: Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 9:56 AM
Subject: [Opie] Greg "Gerg" Gilbert
To: fac at westmont.edu, staff at westmont.edu, Rodkeyfam <rodkeyfam at westmont.edu>,
opie at handhelds.org, kgrose at westmont.ed, asearles at westmont.edu,
fed.gallardo at gmail.com, cmundell at westmont.edu

It is with deep sadness that I report that Greg "Gerg" Gilbert, former
student, former employee, and friend,  has died of an apparent heart attack.
As a first year student, he immediately showed brilliant ability in all
things Computer and Network.  He worked hard, understood things
apparently instantaneously and with ease, and with laughter that came
easily, disarmed the stressful moments inherent in any IT Support
situation.  Several times I came in to the office in the morning to find
Gerg asleep on the floor of one of the IT cubicles, having worked on
some project through the night until his eyelids would no longer stay
open.  His passion led him to become a regular contributer to the
open-source community, becoming the maintainer of numerous modules for
Linux-based handhelds and the debian Linux distribution. His focus on IT
led him to leave Westmont and work at Brooks with Greg Lawler, who was
able to put his talents to use full-time in development and support
there.  Greg Lawler has written a blog entry at
http://www.zinkwazi.com/wp/2008/02/28/greg-gerg-gilbert/ honoring Gerg.

Gerg was gentle, humble, affable, and always eager to help.  Even after
leaving Westmont, he would chip in on solving some of our most vexing
problems, and always with a smile, a laugh, a nod that indicated that
this was more fun than work for him. All who knew him will grieve his
passing.

Peace to the soul of Greg Gilbert.

John Rodkey

Henry von Tresckow (hvontres)