[oe] "as" has gone missing.

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Wed Jan 2 15:18:21 UTC 2008

Alas!  Sometime in the past - nobody here knows exactly when - "as" (the
assembler) has gone missing from the packages.  The "gcc" bitbake recipe
provides all manner of other packages, all of which can be installed, and
seem to provide the necessary compilation tools to build stuff on the target
device.  Except that the toolchain can't find "as" -- and as I peruse the
recipes, neither can I!

The assembler is built and placed on the buildhost (in the cross directory,
as one would expect), so clearly it's handled by something - just not the
"gcc" bb recipe.  The "gcc" recipe does not seem to build "as", and
certainly doesn't have any support for packaging it.

I am need of a clue, if anyone can offer some direction.  Might this be as
simple as a configuration option missing when gcc is built (and "as" should
be part of the "gcc" package), or is this a case where I'll have to add
support for a separate "as" package to the recipe?

Thanks,
Mike (~mwester)