[oe] Enabling gtk-touchscreen-mode for gtk+

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 15:18:41 UTC 2008

Hello openembedded-devel,

  It seems that few of usability issues we experience with gtk+ are
due to the fact that we don't have configured it well enough. For
example, in 2.10, Maemo people contributed gtk-touchscreen-mode
setting which makes pointing device handling behavior more adapted for
touchscreens. I'd like enable it now, apparently by starting to ship
/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc having that option, in gtk+ package.

  If someone has immediate better idea where it should be set/shipped
from the start, please speak. Otherwise, we'll need to elaborate
stylus vs mouse handling anyway later.

  If you want specific example of broken behavior, it's
menus/dropdowns with many choices, not fitting the box - when you
tap arrow to scroll it, it starts to scroll continuously and fast in
your face, disallowing to do needed selection realistically.
gtk-touchscreen-mode = 1 fixes that (tap causes one-line scroll).
One place this can be reproduced is openmoko-appmanager (sic), with
SECTION dropdown. (I wonder if OM has gtk-touchscreen-mode set
somewhere btw).

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com