[oe] [RFC] Smallscreen mod for GtkFileChooser

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Tue Jan 8 16:49:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 16:34 +0200, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
>   As Ross Burton of OpenedHand commented in my blog, they make steps
> to upstream their changes, but of course that doesn't go smooth, it
> takes time, refactors, waiting for new versions, etc. So, I'd prefer
> to leave that to big guys, knowing that they care to make the future
> bright. With my little-guy-who-scratches-his-and-fellow-users'-itches
> hat on, I care about present being bright too, and sustainability of
> the whole Linux-on-PDA effort. So, here's small patch optimized for a
> given criteria (size), and I can maintain it in OE for now, even if
> eventually it will be replaced by something else. In the meantime, I
> have lotsa other patches ready, or in work, and working on them and
> their upstreaming would be more beneficial imho.

It is something OpenedHand is working on and will continue to work on,
not least because maintaining a patch like that is painful. I can near
enough guarantee we will end up porting it to new gtk versions, I just
can't guarantee how quickly we'll do that.

>   (Oh, and if someone has free big-guy-from-the-industry's hat, please
> let me know ;-) ).
>
> >> . I'm glad I've written it in high detail, because Koen quickly
> >> pointed me to similar patches in Poky:
> >>
> >> http://svn.o-hand.com/view/poky?rev=3408&view=rev
> >> http://svn.o-hand.com/view/poky?rev=2596&view=rev
> >>
> >>   I didn't try them, but they appear to make more invasive changes to
> >> gtk+, though apparently add more features (for good, bad, or for
> >> vendor's requirements).
>
> > Do we have a screenshot around to see how it looks? :)
>
>   I still didn't try it due to the above. I'd like first a confirmation
> from Poky people that merging those patches to OE will be of benefit
> to them (for example, wider testing). Then we can review the
> functionality. I do worry a bit about QVGA support, as all latest OH
> workings seems to be not optimized for it (Sato, Pimlico).

We're happy enough for wider testing. I can also confirm that patch
works well for QVGA. I'm not sure about screenshots but qemu poky images
are available from http://pokylinux.org/autobuild/poky/ and have a
screenshot utility! I would make one but I don't have a suitable image
handy :(.

Cheers,

Richard