[oe] meta-toolchain / gcc 4.2.2 / gcc 4.2.2 sdk problems

Sergey 'Jin' Bostandzhyan jin at mediatomb.cc
Wed Jan 16 20:40:43 UTC 2008

Hey guys,

once in a while I need to build a toolchain, each time something is failing.

I'd like to help to resolve the issues, but I also need some help in doing that.

I did a pull && update today (776a345f052c5352efa0a810830a321456747f8a) and
my distro is based on angstrom-2008.1.conf

So let's start:

First issue (I think there was some talk about it on the ML already) -
gcc 4.2.2 refused to get going, had to comment out this line in gcc_4.2.2.bb:
FORTRAN_linux-gnueabi = ",fortran"

The accompanying bug is #3636 (generated by the autobuilder).

Next problem was with gcc-cross-sdk, have a look at gcc4-build-sdk.inc

# SYSROOT = "${WORKDIR}/sysroot"
SYSROOT = ${prefix}/${TARGET_SYS}

Problem here is that ${prefix} equals to something in / (root directory), so
mkdir -p ${SYSROOT}/usr/ in do_configure is of course failing.

I know too little about toolchain generation to understand why the old
SYSROOT setting was commented out, so I put it back in and then it worked.

Any hints there, why was the sysroot change made?

Kind regards,
Jin