[oe] Bug 2430 -- TrueType fonts handling and solution for it

Marcin Juszkiewicz openembedded at haerwu.biz
Mon Jan 21 19:53:16 UTC 2008

Dnia Monday, 21 of January 2008, Paul Sokolovsky napisał:
> Monday, January 21, 2008, 3:08:31 PM, Marcin wrote:

>   Is such extra level of indirection and multiplexing really required?

Yes -- it is required. This way we will have it solved once and will not
have to change it just because XDE or PSDE uses fonts in other way.

> Or rather, I wish we separated this matter to 2 separate ones:
>
> 1. Adopting reusable pattern for solving task of "need to 'register'
> objects of arbitrary type".
> 2. See what kind of registration support required for objects of type
> fonts.

Feel free to suggest other solution. This one which I summarized was
discussed on IRC for quite long time.

> For 1, I wish we adopted some easy scheme, like, for all packages
> containing object of type foo, to have in postinstall:
>
> [ -x /usr/bin/update-foo ] && /usr/bin/update-foo

What will be "update-foo" for fonts? Will it be "update-fonts" which Rolf
and I suggest or will it be "update-fonts-for-opie"
+ "update-fonts-for-fontconfig" + "update-fonts-for-xde" etc? I have a
feeling that you try to force us to go second way.

> Then, for each specific object type, specific package will handle
> registration

And thats what our suggestion do. If you install "specific object type"
(which TrueType/OpenType fonts are) then "specific package"
(update-fonts-common + scripts from each system which use TTF) will
handle registration of "objects" (fonts) in system.

> for example among following (but not limiting to) choices:

> 1. No registration needed at all - no /usr/bin/update-foo, nothing
> will be done.

And nothing will see TT/OT font.

> 2. In simplest case, /usr/bin/update-foo will be a symlink to tool
> handling registration for specific environment.

And when user will install other environment then which one will be
called?

> 3. If some objects really need registration with different facilities,
> multiplex scheme as described can be used.

If there are scripts only for one environment installed then it is like
your 2nd point.

I really do not see a problem where you are trying to find one.

--
JID: hrw-jabber.org
OpenEmbedded developer/consultant

    If you're not the part of solution then you're part of the problem.