[oe] [RFC] A case of distro config overriding DISTRO var

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Mon Jan 28 23:22:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 01:16 +0200, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
> I'd like to know what's the idea behind overriding DISTRO var from the
> value being set by user? For example, angstrom.inc does:
>
> DISTRO = "angstrom"

It means that the override in active use becomes "angstrom" and we don't
have 1001 different overrides (angstrom2007, angstrom1008 etc.) all over
the tree.

> The problem with is that real distro name is lost, as thus
> cannot be passed to some other tool (e.g., bbimage).
>
> If there're good reasons to do that, and we would be lazy enough to
> convert to something like: DISTRO_FOO = "${DISTRO}" in bitbake.conf,
> and let those good reasons apply to DISTRO_FOO, which must replace
> DISTRO in the appropriate places, then I at least propose to do:
>
> DISTRO_ORIGINAL := "${DISTRO}"
>
> in bitbake.conf, so we always have real distro config name handy.

What you didn't say is where exactly in bitbake.conf you are going to
define that?

You need to put the := directly before the code that changes DISTRO.
Yes, you could add this in bitbake.conf after local.conf and before
including ${DISTRO}.conf but that seems ugly to me.

I'd prefer USERDISTRO = "${DISTRO}" in bitbake.conf and then having
angstrom overriding that using := if it really has to...

Regards,

Richard