[oe] [RFC] Setting default IMAGE_FSTYPES to tar.gz in bitbake.conf

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 23:41:17 UTC 2008

Hello,

Currently, we have in bitbake.conf:

IMAGE_FSTYPES ?= "jffs2"

jffs2 is a special filesystem format, suitable for limited number of
hardware on the global scale. So I would like to propose to replace
that default with some neutral and well-know format, say tar.gz.

Oh, and btw, I have a bunch of standalone filesystem conversion scripts
which I can't find time to RFC for addition to contrib/. While OE has
ability to generate images in different formats, sometimes there's a
need/easier to convert one existing flexible format. Few usecases I
personally had:

1. I don't have jffs2 in IMAGE_FSTYPES, as I don't flash stuff, so
having that would increase image generation runs and wasted disk space.
But when I needed to play with LiveRamdisks, which use jffs2, I just
converted tar.gz to jffs2.

2. For Angstrom loopback installs, I run scripts which convert
specific tar.gz to ext2 right on the download server, instead of
downloading, converting and uploading back, of overloading autobuilder
with generating ext2 for each image.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com