[oe] RFC: aggressive usurpation of bugs.oe.net by Angstrom

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Wed Jan 30 20:00:56 UTC 2008

Funny, I made similar comments a few years ago about bugs.oe.org being
treated as bugs.oz.org, at which point I was made clear by then OE core
developers (and even by nearly all OE founders) that it was The One And
Only Way(TM) and that all OE-based distros should use bugs.oe.org and
claim bugs as their own. A few years down the road Angstrom is doing
exactly that.

To put it in Graemes words: "This is a wind-up, right?"

Rolf Leggewie schreef:
| Hello,
|
| I have witnessed some aggressive usurpation of the bug-tracker by
| Angstrom devs recently, especially concerning meta-bugs.  This has to
| some extent brought back the bickering we all try to avoid.
|
| I want to discuss this with you but cannot offer an immediate solution.
|  I think the whole structure needs some reconsideration to make sure
| that different distributions don't step on each other's toes or one
| distribution claims the BTS all for itself.  The information in the bug
| tracker is there for all to share and make OE better.
|
| The problem - which I have been considering for almost a year now -
| stems from the fact that OE vs. distribution vs. on-device is not
| clearly distinguished.  bugzilla also does not allow marking two entries
| for field X.
|
| * there are issues at time of compilation, but they can be
|   distro-specific, host-specific, foo-specific or generic
| * there are issues on-device and they can be device-specific,
|   distro-specific, foo-specific or generic
| * It is also possible that one bug exists in A* 2007 and Sharp ROM,
|   but not in A* 2008.  Currently, this is impossible to mark correctly.
|
| We don't clearly distinguish and our field labels reflect that, making
| it hard for people to carve out the bugs that affect them as well as not
| step on one another when trying to resolve the problem for their
| specific distro.  launchpad for example does this much better, but
| generally sucks even more with regards to fields and searchability.
|
| The problem partly stems from the fact that bugzilla is usually not used
| in a cross-compile environment (what does the Hardware field mean?, what
| does OS mean?).  We have tried to work around this with meta-bugs in the
| past but it becomes increasingly difficult.
|
| So much for the status quo.  I think we eventually will need to rework
| the labels and fields and communicate their meaning more clearly, but I
| cannot present "the" solution yet.  Suggestions and discussion welcome.
|
| Regards
|
| Rolf

- --
koen at dominion.kabel.utwente.nl will go go away in december 2007, please