[oe] Git Migration Status

Rich Pixley rich.pixley at palm.com
Tue Jul 29 17:11:00 UTC 2008

Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Rolf Leggewie <no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de> writes
>> Richard Purdie wrote:
>>
>>> There is also the issue of commit ID naming. I'm tempted to propose we
>>> use commit IDs with a domain such as userid at developers.openembedded.org.
>>>
>> I think something under openembedded.org is a good idea for several
>> reasons.  But how about userid at dev.openembedded.org?
>>
> I disagree. Using real mail address give a real view of who can be
> sponsoring work and using OE.
Seems to me the point is to have commit id's which encourage and support
responsibility.  Since we know each other primarily by email id's, (and
yes, these change periodically), it seems completely reasonable to me to
request that these be done using functional email addresses.  They may
or may not represent a, (potentially temporary), work assignment or
employment.  For someone who frequently changes work assignments or
employment, a more generic address, either a personal one, or a cut-out
or email forwarder like gmail intended specifically for that purpose
might be appropriate.

I read the suggestion as meaning that it should, in general, be possible
for me as a developer and/or consumer to contact the author of a
particular commit, which sounds completely appropriate to me, at least
superficially.  If the commit id's aren't email addresses, then we'd
need to use some other mapping to figure out how to contact commit
authors.  Or are there other ways to handle this already?

--rich