[oe] Git Migration Status

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Tue Jul 29 23:57:43 UTC 2008

Richard Purdie wrote:
> There is also the issue of commit ID naming. I'm tempted to propose we
> use commit IDs with a domain such as userid at developers.openembedded.org.
> This would allow email redirection should we ever want it without
> interfering with the main domain. The alternative is to let people use
> their own domains but this means the IDs change when people change email
> address and isn't really consistent for the metadata and maintaining a
> single identity. I'm really open to opinions on this though.

Just use real email addresses.  If someone doesn't want to use their
current home or work email address, or has an address that they don't
own (and therefore will change in the future), they can easily get a
google mail or yahoo mail account purely for a commit email address.

The Linux kernel uses real email addresses.  Why would OE do something
different?

Since the git commit Id is always "Real Name <email at address>" (not just
a raw email address) then the Real Name will usually stay the same
irrespective of the email address changing - this provides the desired
continuity of identification.

-- Rod