[oe] Git Migration Status

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 17:06:32 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Richard Purdie <rpurdie at rpsys.net> wrote:

> Say I have some tree outside OE and I commit things to is as a developer
> with no access to OE directly. "We" then want to merge that into OE.
> Even assuming the commit hooks allow this (there are ways and means) we
> immediately lose our namespace protection. There are 101 other scenarios
> that would allow this to happen and they show that namespace protection
> is pointless with git.

Agreed, I'm not sure there is any way we can force a uniform commit id
format with the possibility of merging branches.

> Note that your AUTHORS file would also break with this approach unless
> at merge time you grep the external tree for all email addresses and
> then add them which would be tedious at best.

It seems to me that whoever does the merge has to vouch for the
commits in the branch that gets merged.

> For b) I'd propose making a list of the monotone IDs we have and asking
> for opinions of what to do with them. I'm happy for
> "rpurdie at openembedded.org" to become "Richard Purdie <rpurdie at rpsys.net>
> for example and that will increase the usefulness of the metadata (some
> username mappings are much harder to guess). I already have a list of
> bkcvs ids to monotone IDs so this just leaves the the monotone -> git
> mappings. Is anyone willing to volunteer to collect a list?

Why not put a list on the wiki and ask people to edit.  I'll see what
I can find ...

> For a) I guess the best we can do is add some checking for insane commit
> and author IDs like containing "localhost", not setting a name or
> containing an IP address. I'd also like to add something to the commit
> policy about only committing using sane IDs, commits with invalid IDs
> are at risk of being reverted.

Seems like it has to come down to policy.  Anyone who wants to merge a
branch needs to make sure it has sane commit ID's first.  Its fairly
easy to track down who merged a commit, so this may require some
enforcement, but people will learn fairly quickly if its enforced.

Cliff