[oe] Tool for gathering/validating OE source package locations

Esben Haabendal esbenhaabendal at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 21:51:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 5:29 PM, Leon Woestenberg
<leon.woestenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Esben and all,
>

> This is a C application I wrote to keep a database (it uses sqlite) of
> valid (source package) locations.
>
> http://www.sidebranch.com/leon/witpa_20080730.tar.bz2
>

> Once you manually add a known-good package, it can use Google powers
> to add new locations, after validating MD5 and SHA.
>
> http://www.sidebranch.com/leon/witpa_20080730.tar.bz2
>
> It could act as a OE fetcher back-end if we extend it a bit.
>
> The tool is called 'witpa' for "Where Is That Package At?".

Nice!  It would definitely be nice to have integrated as OE fetcher.

Depending on the situation, I would like to:

1. Go through _ALL_ recipes, and check all sources.
2. Go through all recipes needed for a specific configuration.
3. Go through all sources already known by witpa.

And as a result,

a. Raise a warning for sources that could not be downloaded.
   and which is not known by witpa
b. Raise a warning for sources that could not be downloaded,
   and which is known by witpa, but a usable alternative location
   could not be found.
c. For sources that could not be downloaded, and where witpa
   is able to find an alternative usable location, send an email with
   a patch which if applied, fixes the recipe.  These patches should
   then be hand-carried to a commit.

Without something like this, I fear that stable will not really be
very stable.

If only I had a bit more time or bitbake hacking experience...

/Esben